“I’ve found that luck is quite predictable. If you want more luck, take more chances, be more active, show up more often.” — Brian Tracy
Waking up in Costa Rica on this 30th day for my 30th year is a blessing in itself. May every year of my entire 30’s begin in a new destination as long as Allah grants me the will to do so 🙏🏽. May I never take the luxuries I have access to for granted. May I embrace every new experience and cultivate it for the enrichment of my life’s journey. Amen!
For the first time ever, I don’t want to be as vulnerable. Yet, I promise to always remain transparent. I’ve always written from my heart and shared the things I’ve experienced and what I have learned most from my previous year of birth. However, this year, I feel it’s time to move in a different direction. Becoming more private and embracing my life – the bad and the good alone, in hopes that it will block outer interference and push me to new levels and truly grow. I’ve been going through my saturn return since January and with 5 more months left – as my life continues to transform, I just want to be quiet. The battle I am facing with who I am as a person, how I feel, what I want and what I need, is not open for discussion with anyone else other than God and myself. There is still something I am in search of. I don’t have all the answers and to be honest, I don’t know what that something is. I know I carry myself with dignity and grace, but I promise I don’t have it all together. When you see me, understand, I am still trying to figure life out just like the next person. I didn’t even know who I was until a few years ago and now I don’t even feel like that person is me anymore. There are parts of me that have been sleep and I can’t play with time any longer. 🗣I NEED TO WAKE THE HELL UP! I felt fulfilled months ago and now the thought of being complacent is terrifying. Comfort has become scary to me because I never want to settle for the bare minimum. It’s time to move larger in life; make something more of myself; give more of myself. I’ve come so far and have accomplished so much to be where I am today, but I know there are things I need to be honest about and change within myself before I can transcend to this next level. I’ve slipped back into some old behaviors and I refuse to not learn the lesson, fail the tests and repeat the same old cycles.
On the flip side as I have gotten closer to this day, I’ve taken heed on how confident I am within myself. I spend way more time by myself nowadays. More often than I used to. I move at the beat of my own drum every single day and work on my own time. There is not one other person’s company I currently crave more than my own. I am at my most peaceful state when I am alone. Self love has become my main priority. There are so many things about me that I love, but there are just as many things about me that I am discovering that hinders my elevation. This period has been conducive to helping me identify with and shedding those behaviors.
“Calling yourself out on your own bullshit is primary self-care.”
– Ayishat A. Akanbi
To the people that have been patient and understanding with me as I grow through this next phase, I thank you so much. Your grace has been a lesson in itself. I pray that you are more pleased with the improved and healed me that is awaiting to greet you on the other side. Cheers 🥂 to 30: All the preparation is going to finally pay off because God is…!
30 Life Lessons I’ve Learned In 30 Years
- Everyone is growing. You either grow with or outgrow each other.
- Meditation will change your life.
- Never be afraid to ask for assistance. We can’t do it all.
- Learn to accept constructive criticism without feeling attacked.
- People will say a lot without any action for as long as you accept it.
- Not everyone deserves access to your love.
- Your comfort zone is a dangerous place. Never remain complacent.
- If you’re not passionate about it, is it really worth the time?
- Longevity is key.
- Know your worth + add tax, and never compromise it.
- Continuously learn. You never know what doors a new skill will open for you.
- Look good and smell good, but don’t forget your confidence. It’ll take you far!
- Read often and watch how your vocabulary naturally advances.
- Experience is life’s best teacher.
- You can’t avoid setbacks but no matter the circumstance, you can bounce back.
- Learn the lesson to avoid repeating the test.
- Resilience/Dedication/Consistency will pay off. Don’t ever give up on your dreams.
- Don’t rush life trying to beat a time table. God has the final say.
- Be flexible.
- Spontaneity in moderation is a thrill worth feeling.
- Be honest with yourself and own your shit.
- Healthy love is the only option. Don’t let them convince you of anything less than.
- You can’t predict the future but you can take the necessary actions to create it.
- There is nothing wrong with seeing a therapist.
- You can’t change anyone other than yourself.
- Life goes on.
- People will pick apart your truth no matter what it is. Rumors/Opinions don’t deserve your attention.
- Self care is a necessity. You need time to recharge often.
- Never place your happiness in the hands of someone else.
- Everyone has their own definition of loyalty. Make sure you are knowledgeable of theirs.