“I’ve found that luck is quite predictable. If you want more luck, take more chances, be more active, show up more often.” — Brian Tracy
Waking up in Costa Rica on this 30th day for my 30th year is a blessing in itself. May every year of my entire 30’s begin in a new destination as long as Allah grants me the will to do so 🙏🏽. May I never take the luxuries I have access to for granted. May I embrace every new experience and cultivate it for the enrichment of my life’s journey. Amen!
For the first time ever, I don’t want to be as vulnerable. Yet, I promise to always remain transparent. I’ve always written from my heart and shared the things I’ve experienced and what I have learned most from my previous year of birth. However, this year, I feel it’s time to move in a different direction. Becoming more private and embracing my life – the bad and the good alone, in hopes that it will push me to new levels and truly grow. I’ve been going through my saturn return since January and with 5 more months left – as my life continues to transform, I just want to be quiet. The battle I am facing with who I am as a person, how I feel, what I want and what I need, is not open for discussion with anyone else other than God and myself. There is still something I am in search of. I don’t have all the answers and to be honest, I don’t know what that something is. I know I carry myself with dignity and grace, but I promise I don’t have it all together. When you see me, understand, I am still trying to figure life out just like the next person. I didn’t even know who I was until a few years ago and now I don’t even feel like that person is me anymore. There are parts of me that have been sleep and I can’t play with time any longer. 🗣I NEED TO WAKE THE HELL UP! I felt fulfilled months ago and now the thought of being complacent is terrifying. Comfort has become scary to me because I never want to settle for the bare minimum. It’s time to move larger in life; make something more of myself; give more of myself. I’ve come so far and have accomplished so much to be where I am today, but I know there are things I need to be honest about and change within myself before I can transcend to this next level. I’ve slipped back into some old behaviors and I refuse to not learn the lesson, fail the tests and repeat the same old cycles.
On the flip side as I have gotten closer to this day, I’ve taken heed on how confident I am within myself. I spend way more time by myself nowadays. More often than I used to. I move at the beat of my own drum every single day and work on my own time. There is not one other person’s company I currently crave more than my own. I am at my most peaceful state when I am alone. Self love has become my main priority. There are so many things about me that I love, but there are just as many things about me that I am discovering that hinders my elevation. This period has been conducive to helping me identify with and shedding those behaviors.
“Calling yourself out on your own bullshit is primary self-care.”
– Ayishat A. Akanbi
To the people that have been patient and understanding with me as I grow through this next phase, I thank you so much. Your grace has been a lesson in itself. I pray that you are more pleased with the improved and healed me that is awaiting to greet you on the other side. Cheers to 30: All the preparation is going to finally pay off because God is…!
30 Life Lessons I’ve Learned In 30 Years
- Everyone is growing. You either grow with or outgrow each other.
- Meditation will change your life.
- Never be afraid to ask for assistance. We can’t do it all.
- Learn to accept constructive criticism without feeling attacked.
- People will say a lot without any action for as long as you accept it.
- Not everyone deserves access to your love.
- Your comfort zone is a dangerous place. Never remain complacent.
- If you’re not passionate about it, is it really worth the time?
- Longevity is key.
- Know your worth + add tax, and never compromise it.
- Continuously learn. You never know what doors a new skill will open for you.
- Look good and smell good, but don’t forget your confidence. It’ll take you far!
- Read often and watch how your vocabulary naturally advances.
- Experience is life’s best teacher.
- You can’t avoid setbacks but no matter the circumstance, you can bounce back.
- Learn the lesson to avoid repeating the test.
- Resilience/Dedication/Consistency will pay off. Don’t ever give up on your dreams.
- Don’t rush life trying to beat a time table. God has the final say.
- Be flexible.
- Spontaneity in moderation is a thrill worth feeling.
- Be honest with yourself and own your shit.
- Healthy love is the only option. Don’t let them convince you of anything less than.
- You can’t predict the future but you can take the necessary actions to create it.
- There is nothing wrong with seeing a therapist.
- You can’t change anyone other than yourself.
- Life goes on.
- People will pick apart your truth no matter what it is. Rumors/Opinions don’t deserve your attention.
- Self care is a necessity. You need time to recharge often.
- Never place your happiness in the hands of someone else.
- Everyone has their own definition of loyalty. Make sure you are knowledgeable of theirs.